Southwest Airlines is a popular low-carrier airline that has gained so much popularity among customers for its amazing and genuine services. This airline also offers priority boarding to a certain group of people.
If you are flying with Southwest for the first time or if you are not aware of the boarding procedure of this airline then no worries. This article is specially made for you. In this article, you will explore the ways to print Southwest Airlines boarding pass, along with that, you will also get to know the steps following which you can enjoy the priority boarding facility.
Print Southwest Airlines Boarding Pass
To download your Southwest Airlines Boarding Pass, you can use two ways. The first is Southwest Mobile App and the second one is the self-service kiosk facility at the airport.
Online Via Using Mobile App
An electronic ticket is stored on a personal mobile device known as a “mobile boarding pass” which enables you to pass through security and board your flight. You can use the pass via Southwest’s mobile websites, apps, and channels for iOS and Android. To use the pass, you have to download the pass on your phone, and for that, you are required to follow the steps that are mentioned below;
- Visit the App Store (iOS) or Google Play Store (Android) on your smartphone. Search for “Southwest Airlines” and install the official Southwest Airlines app.
- If you already have a Southwest account, enter your login credentials (username/email and password) to access your account. If you don’t have an account, you can create one within the app.
- Once logged in, you should see your upcoming flight(s) displayed on the home screen or in the “My Trips” section. Locate the flight for which you want to download the boarding pass and tap on it.
- On the flight details page, you should find an option to view your boarding pass. It is usually labeled as “View Boarding Pass,” “Get Boarding Pass,” or a similar phrase. Tap on this option.
- After tapping the appropriate option, your boarding pass will be displayed on the screen. Look for a download icon or a “Download” button and tap on it to save the boarding pass to your smartphone.
- Once the boarding pass is downloaded, you can access it from your phone’s gallery, downloads folder, or a dedicated folder within the Southwest app. Some devices may also allow you to add the boarding pass to your digital wallet or a specialized app like Apple Wallet or Google Pay.
Via Self-Service Kiosk Machine
To avoid long queues at the airport, you can use a kiosk machine to download the boarding pass. The steps to download the boarding pass are;
- When you arrive at the airport, look for the Southwest Airlines check-in area. You will find self-service kiosk machines usually positioned near the airline’s ticket counters.
- At the machine, you will have to select the option that says “Check-In” or “Boarding Pass.” The exact wording may vary depending on the kiosk design.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to identify yourself. You may be asked to input your confirmation number, and e-ticket number, or scan the barcode on your reservation confirmation email or printed itinerary.
- Then tap on proceed, if seat selection is offered at the kiosk, you will be prompted to choose your preferred seat. Select the seat you prefer, or you can choose to continue without selecting a specific seat.
- After that, look for the button or touchscreen option that says “Print Boarding Pass” and select it.
- After selecting the “Print Boarding Pass” option, the kiosk will generate your boarding pass. It will usually be printed on standard-sized paper. Retrieve your printed boarding pass from the designated slot or tray provided by the kiosk.
- Ensure that you keep your boarding pass in a secure place as you will need to show up at the terminal gate to board the flight.
How Can I Add My Southwest Airlines Boarding Pass to Apple Wallet?
Follow the below-given 6 steps to add your Southwest Airlines boarding pass to Apple Wallet.
- Check-in for your flight on the Southwest Airlines website or mobile app.
- Once you have checked in, you will see a button that says “Add to Apple Wallet”.
- Tap on the “Add to Apple Wallet” button.
- This will open Apple Wallet and ask you to confirm that you want to add the boarding pass.
- Tap on the “Add” button.
- Your boarding pass will now be added to Apple Wallet.
What Is Southwest Boarding Pass Cut-off Time?
The boarding pass cut-off time for Southwest Airlines is 1 hour before the scheduled international flight departure time and 30 minutes before domestic flight time. This means that you must have checked in for your flight and have your boarding pass in hand at least 30 to 1 hour before your flight is scheduled to depart. If you do not have your boarding pass by this time, you may not be able to board your flight.
It is important to note that Southwest Airlines may begin boarding as early as 30 minutes before the scheduled departure time. Therefore, it is a good idea to arrive at the airport at least 2 hours before your flight is scheduled to depart. This will give you enough time to check in, check your bags, go through security, and get to your gate.
What is the Southwest Boarding Position?
Southwest Airlines uses a boarding position system to determine the order in which passengers board their flights. Passengers are assigned a boarding group letter (A, B, or C) and a position number (1-60) when they check-in for their flight. Check out the breakdown of the boarding position system given below;
1. Preboarding: Southwest Airlines offers the pre-boarding facility to persons who are differently challenged or need some extra time to settle into their seats. In case, you are flying with a disability or with a disabled person then you can contact the customer care department of Southwest. However, this airline does not allow any pre-boarded passenger to occupy an exit row seat.
2. Group A: This group has the highest priority and boards first. Passengers with boarding passes that start with an “A” for example A1, A2, A3… and so on will board in this group. If you have bought Southwest Business Select fares or paid extra for your tickets before boarding then you will get seated in A1 to A15. And if you didn’t pay any extra charges then your seat will be allotted in A16 to A60.
3. Group B: All the passengers in group B will be given second priority to board the flight. If you are in this group then you will board the flight after boarding group A.
4. Group C: The last group C has the lowest boarding priority facility. If you are flying under this group then you will fly after the passenger under Group A and Group B.
How Can I Get My Southwest Boarding Position?
The boarding position system is a way to ensure that all passengers have a fair chance to get the seats they want. If you want a better boarding position, then you must follow the below-given pointers;
- Check-in as early as possible. The earlier you check-in, the better your boarding position will be.
- Use the Southwest app to check-in. You can check in up to 24 hours before your flight using the Southwest app. You can also opt for online check-in and boarding pass procedures.
- Join Southwest’s EarlyBird Check-in program. EarlyBird Check-in allows you to check in up to 12 hours before your flight and select your boarding position.
- Purchase a Business Select fare. Business Select fares come with guaranteed A1-A15 boarding, so you’ll always be among the first to board the plane.
About Southwest Airlines Family Boarding
Southwest Airlines offers Family Boarding, which allows up to two adults traveling with underage children to board the plane early. You can avail of the family boarding facility after the Group A passengers complete the boarding and before the Group B passengers board their flight.
To qualify for Family Boarding, you must meet the following requirements:
- You must be traveling with a child six years old or younger.
- You must be traveling with at least one adult.
- You must all be checked in together.
If you meet all of the requirements, you can board during Family Boarding by following these steps:
- Check-in for your flight online or through the Southwest app.
- When you check-in, select “Family Boarding” as your boarding option.
- Arrive at the gate at least 30 minutes before your flight’s scheduled departure time.
- Present your boarding passes to the gate agent.
- Then, the gate agent will direct you to the Family Boarding line. Once you reach the front of the line, you will be able to board the plane.
Family Boarding is a great way to ensure that you and your family are able to board the plane together, get settled down without any problem, and have more choices of seats. It’s also a great way to avoid the crowds and stress of the regular boarding process.
Note: You can only use Family Boarding once per flight and if you have more than one child, you can only use Family Boarding for the first two children.