Discover the utmost peace of mind with the generous Southwest Airlines refund policy. This customer-centric service permits you to explore the globe worry-free. There are no hidden fees or complicated processes with this air carrier – just transparency and simplicity. Travel confidently knowing that Southwest has got your back.
Information About Southwest Airlines Refunds
Before knowing the process of refund, let us tell you about some of the key points regarding this policy.
- As we all know, not all fares are refundable. The Business Select and Anytime fares of this airline are refundable. While Wanna Get Away and Wanna Get Away Plus fares are reusable but not refundable.
- Unused, refundable tickets that do not carry restrictions may be applied toward future travel or refunded within one year from the date of issue.
- All eligible refunds are provided according to your original form of payment.
- The refunds department will process your refund within seven business days from the date they receive your Southwest Airlines refund request. Your card issuing bank may then take up to 10 business days to post the credit to your account.
- Based on your individual billing cycle, you will see the refund in your statement within one or two mailings.
Steps to Check Your Refund Eligibility
Here are some steps that you can follow to check if you are eligible to get a refund or not from this airline.
- Go to www.southwest.com or open the Southwest app on your electronic device.
- Select “Look Up Reservation” in the menu.
- If you booked your trip using your Rapid Rewards account. Then, log into it and have a look at your itinerary.
- Enter your confirmation number and last name on the reservation.
- You will see any available flight credit or refundable balances attached to the confirmation number you entered.
- Now, you can choose to receive a refund or convert the fare value into future credit.
Note: Flight credit is available for use immediately. And if you used your Rapid Rewards number while booking. Then, your flight credit will be automatically added to your Southwest account.
Methods Of Payment For Refunds
You will generally get your money back in the same payment mode you made the booking.
Cash: The refund will be issued by check to you in around 20 business days. But, it will be based on the date of your request. And it is also for your travel within the US only.
Points: As mentioned above, your points will go back to the Rapid Rewards account you used to book the flight. Any taxes/fees not paid for using points can either be refunded to the payment method or as a future flight credit.
Southwest gift card or LUV Vouchers: If you canceled your booking within 24 hours of purchase, contact +1 (800) 435-9792. In case you canceled it after 24 hours, then your gift card or voucher will be refunded as a flight credit.
Flight Credit: In the event that you used flight credit from a previous reservation towards a Business Select or Anytime fare. It will be refunded as Transferable Flight Credit.
Unaccompanied Minor And Pet Refund
As per the Southwest Airlines refund policy, you can get a refund for an unaccompanied minor which is $50 each way. Or a pet fare i.e. $95 single trip if:
- You cancel the reservation and the minor or pet does not travel.
- Your flight is canceled and you do not select to rebook.
- The child is joined by an accompanying passenger age 12 or older and is no longer an unaccompanied minor.
To get a refund for these bookings, call the customer service department of this air carrier at +1 (800) 435-9792. Or else, visit the airport counter of the airline.
How can I request a Southwest Airlines refund for an unused fare?
You might request a refund by using the Email Us option on the website or mobile application. You just need to submit the appropriate information and your refund will be processed accordingly.
Will I get a refund if Southwest cancels my flight?
If the air carrier cancels your flight and you choose to cancel your trip as a result. Then, you are entitled to a refund for the unused portion of your flight. You can also get a refund for any bag fee paid or any extras you have purchased.
Will I get a refund for EarlyBird check-in if I cancel my Southwest flight?
Unfortunately, EarlyBird check-in is non-refundable. If you cancel your flight, you are forfeiting this purchase. But if the flight is canceled by Southwest, then you can receive a refund by calling them.