Does the procedure to claim a flight refund give you a headache and make you anxious? Are you regarding canceling your flight because of a lack of knowledge about the refund claiming procedure? If yes, then not anymore because you are at the right place.
This article will help you out by providing you with all the details about British Airways Refund Policy. No matter what was the reason for your flight cancellation, with refundable tickets you can easily get your refund without any hassle.
What is British Airways Refund Policy?
In order to claim a refund for your flight, it is advisable to read the below-mentioned pointers to get a hold of this airline’s refund policy. These points will help you to know whether your ticket is eligible to get a refund or not.
- Within 24 hours of booking, you can cancel your ticket irrespective of the fare type, and get a full refund.
- Under the no-show policy, you cannot claim a refund for your ticket.
- If you have a refundable ticket then you can claim a refund.
- As the name explains “non-refundable” ticket holders are not eligible to claim a refund. However, in some cases, future flight credit can be given.
- If the airline cancels your holiday booking flight then you will get your refund within 14 working days.
- If a connecting flight you booked under the same booking reference is disrupted by a delay or cancellation of five hours or more (with a planned connection time of 24 hours or less) and you decide not to proceed to your final destination, the operating carrier will give you a return flight to your original point of departure as soon as possible and give you a refund for the portions of the trip you did not fly.
- If you can prove that the portion of your trip that you did fly no longer serves any purpose in relation to your original travel intentions, you may be eligible for a refund for that portion of the trip. Then, when requesting a refund for the portions of your trip you did not fly, during this time you must also request a refund for the flight you flew.
- In some cases, such as during extraordinary events or natural disasters, the airline might offer you a deserving refund.
- Your ticket’s unused portion will be refunded to you. The total amount will be determined on the basis of fees, charges, surcharges, taxes, etc, that you paid to the airline.
- If you only used a portion of your ticket, the refund will be the difference between the total fare paid and the amount of the fare that you actually used to travel.
- You can claim your refund only if you have booked your flight at least 1 week before your scheduled travel date and if your ticket is refundable.
Method to Claim British Flight Refund
This air carrier offers various ways for its passengers to claim a refund. In the below-given context, you will get 2 major yet simple methods to get the flight refund that you deserve;
British Airways Refund Request Online
To get a refund for your cancelled flight online, follow the steps given below;
- Go to the official British Airways website using your web browser.
- If you have an existing account with this airline, sign in with your credentials. If not, you may need to create an account.
- Locate and access your flight booking details. This can usually be done by entering your booking reference number and the last name of the passenger on the “Manage My Booking” section of the website.
- Verify if your flight is eligible for a refund. Certain fare types might have different refund policies, so make sure to check the terms and conditions associated with your ticket.
- If your flight is eligible for a refund, you should find an option to request a refund online. Click on the appropriate link/button to initiate the refund process.
- Follow the instructions provided by the carrier and fill in the necessary information, such as your contact details, booking reference, and reason for the refund request.
- Double-check all the information you have provided, and once you are sure it is correct, submit the British Airways refund form.
- After submitting the form, you should receive a confirmation of your refund request. British Airways may contact you through email or the contact information provided on your booking if they require any further details.
- Once the procedure is done successfully, within a few days working days you will receive the refund.
Claim a Refund Via Calling British Customer Service Department
Steps to claim a refund via calling the customer care center are given below;
- Find the British Airways customer care number for your country. You can find a list of customer care numbers on the official website.
- Call the customer care number and select the option for “Refunds”.
- Provide the customer service representative with your booking reference number and surname.
- Explain the reason for your refund.
- Provide any supporting documentation, such as a copy of your flight itinerary or a letter from your employer explaining why you need a refund.
- The customer service representative will review your request and will contact you within 10 business days. If your request is approved, you will receive a refund within 7-10 business days.
British Airways Flight Refund Fees
The refund fee of this airline may vary depending on the type of mode you chose to claim a refund. Check out the below-given table to know the approximate fees for each mode;
|Free||USD 25 per segment||USD 35 per segment|
|Non- Refundable Tickets|
|USD 10 per segment||USD 25 per segment||USD 35 per segment|
Compensation Offered By British Airways
If your flight gets delayed by 3 hours or your flight gets canceled less than 2 weeks before your travel date, then you will be entitled to the before-given compensations;
- If your flight is about 1500km or less, in that case, you will get EUR 250.
- For flights within the EU and more than 1500km, EUR 400 will be provided.
- EUR 400 will be given, in case your flight to any other destination is between 1500–3500km.
- For flights exceeding 3500km, the airline will offer EUR 600 as compensation.
In case, the flight delay or cancellation occurred by the airline involves your other expenses, then also you will get compensation for those additional expenses. Such as;
- Hotel accommodation (if applicable).
- Transportation expenses between the airport and your hotel (if applicable).
- Meals and refreshments.
- 2 phone calls/internet charges.
Non-Eligibility for Compensation
There are some exceptions under which you cannot claim a refund. Details are;
- If the airline informs you about flight cancellation 14 days or more before the scheduled flight departure date.
- If the delays last no more than 3 hours.
- In case, you reschedule a flight to a different place/destination or if you change the departure airport.
- You will not receive any compensation if the flight cancellation or delay occurred due to any extenuating circumstances.
When can I cancel my British Airways Holidays booking to get a refund?
You can request the airline to cancel your Holidays booking and get a full refund only if your flight has been canceled from the airline’s side, your booked accommodation has been closed, or some new major travel restrictions have been introduced by the government or airline after your booking that prevents all the non-essential travel to or from your destination.
Can I transfer my British ticket to someone else and get a refund?
This airline’s ticket transferability and refund policies vary based on the fare type and the ticket’s terms and conditions. Some of its tickets may be transferable with a fee, while others may not be eligible for a refund if transferred. For more details, call the airline directly.