Dive into the depths of Delta Airlines change flight policy as this blog unveils its inner workings. Here you can get answers to various questions like how Delta handles unavoidable situations. What fees come into play when altering travel plans? Uncover all the options available to adventurous travelers looking to redirect their course. Get ready to soar the skies, unraveling the complexity of Delta’s flexible approach to air travel.
What Is Delta Airlines Change Flight Policy?
Below are the flight change policy for delta airlines:
For Non-refundable Fares
Delta Airlines charges a change fee for non-refundable fares. Depending on the travel route, the change fee can range between $0-$400. In addition to the change fee, passengers are also expected to pay the fare difference. Basic Economy fares fall under the category of non-refundable fares. Passengers can also opt to cancel the fare to get a partial refund as an eCredit.
Steps to change a non-refundable fare
- Delta Airlines suggests the passenger cancel the ticket before departure.
- Retrieve your booking with Delta Airlines through their “Find Your Trip” page on their website.
- Now choose the flight you want to make changes with.
- Click on the option stating “Change of Add Flights.”
- Now choose the new flight that you want to make new bookings with.
- Paying the change fee and fare difference completes the process and checkout.
- Delta Airlines will share the confirmation with you.
Additional information for Delta Airlines change flight policy
- There are no change fees to travel originating within the 50 United States, Canada, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
- Delta flights outside the 50 United States, Canada, U.S. Virgin Islands, and Puerto Rico are subject to a $0-$400 change fee.
- In case of travel originating from the Caribbean, there are no change fees. But if the passenger has purchased a Basic Economy ticket, then charges may apply.
For Refundable Fares
Delta flyers have the option to change the flight with a refundable ticket without incurring any additional fees, as long as they adhere to all fare and ticket regulations and there are available seats. If the ticket price has risen since the initial purchase, passengers must pay the price difference between theri original fare and the new fare.
Steps to change a refundable fare
- Access the official website of Delta Airlines.
- Look for the “Find You Trip” option on the website.
- Now choose the flight you want to change.
- An option labeled “Change or Add flights” will appear. Click on it.
- Check for the fare difference and pay the remaining amount.
- You will receive your confirmation for the new fare.
For Award Tickets
Delta Airlines has waived the change fees for all the award tickets. However, it is limited only to flights within the U.S. Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Adding to the list, the United States and Canada flights can also be changed without any change fees. With Delta Airlines, award tickets can be canceled any time before the flight’s scheduled departure.
For Third-Party Tickets
Passengers can also change the ticket bought from any third party with Delta Airlines. However, Delta Airlines may imply a charge on the passenger to make changes.
Delta Airlines may apply third-party charges in the below-mentioned cases:
- Fares bought from a traditional travel agency
- Fares bought from an online travel agency
- Fares bought from another airline, including SkyTeam and codeshare partners.
Delta Airlines will not raise any change fees for the fares following under these categories:
Fares are directly purchased by Delta Airlines from any medium, including bookings through the reservation desk, a ticket office, through the official website of Delta Airlines, or the mobile app.
- Fares with involuntary changes like cancellation, delays, or schedule changes.
- Fares issued with Miltary or government.
- Fares bought by passengers completing a SkyMiles upgrade.
- Fares that undergo same-day confirmed ticket changes.
The $50 charge of Delta Airlines is:
- Removed for the changes done on the main website of Delta Airlines (www.delta.com ) in “My Trips.”
- Applicable to all the changes made through the reservation sales.
- Applicable for fares changes at Delta ticket office locations.
For travel within specific origin, including Canada, the United States, Puerto Rico, and U.S. Virgin Islands:
- Your ticket’s remaining value will be applied to your new trip.
- You need to reissue your ticket and complete all travel within one year from the original date of purchase.
Delta Airlines same-day flight change policy
Delta Airlines offers a convenient option called Same-Day Confirmed Change, which allows passengers to modify their flight without incurring any charges within 24 hours of their original departure time.
Same- Day confirm
- If there is an available seat in the fare class you originally purchased, you have the option to change your ticket to a confirmed seat on a different flight.
- The same-day confirmed fee begins at $75 and may vary depending on your ticket type.
- For Diamond, Platinum, and Gold Medallion Members, same-day confirmed seating is provided as a complimentary service.
- Delta Airlines provides the flexibility of changing your flight and securing a confirmed seat by paying the same-day confirmed fee, if applicable.
- The same-day confirmed seating is subject to availability in your fare class.
- You can wait for a seat on an earlier flight if the Same-Day Confirmed option is unavailable.
- Same-Day Standby is a complimentary service that does not incur any additional cost.
- Your original flight will remain confirmed until you have been assigned a preferred seat on an earlier flight.
Terms and Conditions of same-day change:
- Main Cabin ticket holders can be rebooked in the same fare class as their original flight, subject to seat availability in the Main Cabin.
- Changes to the origin, destination, or same-city travel (e.g., LGA to JFK) are not permitted for same-day confirmed changes.
- Same-day confirmed travel changes do not apply to Basic Economy fares.
Can I change my flight with Delta Airlines without any change fees?
If you purchased your ticket directly from Delta and it is Main Cabin or above, you can change your flight within 24 hours for a full refund. After that, changing your flight may incur a fee of $0-$400 plus the price difference between the original and new flights.
Can I change my flight to a different destination?
It is possible to change your flight to a different destination, provided there are seats available on the new flight. However, please note that you may be required to pay a change fee, which can vary depending on your travel route.
Can I change my flight to a different airline?
You cannot change your flight to a different airline as per Delta Airlines change flight policy. The option to change your flight only applies to flights that Delta Air Lines operates.