Due to some unfortunate situations/circumstances, if you want to cancel your itinerary then do not panic, Southwest Airlines cancellation policy has covered your back. This airline’s cancellation policy allows you to cancel your flight without any cancellation fees.
In this article, you will explore all the details about its different cancellation policies. Not only that but if you are canceling your Southwest flight for the first time, then all the steps that are required to proceed with cancellation are mentioned in this article only for your convenience. So, without any further ado, let’s take a quick tour of the article given below.
Brief About Southwest Airlines Cancellation Policy
For a better understanding of the cancellation policy, you may take a look at the pointers written below;
- Southwest Airlines allow you to cancel your flight up to 10 minutes before your flight departure time.
- You cannot cancel a non-refundable ticket after the allotted time given by the airline.
- In case, you have purchased a refundable ticket, then you can cancel your flight anytime soon before the scheduled flight departure time.
- If you have bought a flight ticket through your rapid reward points then all the points that you have spent on your ticket will return back to your rapid reward account after you cancel your flight.
- In case of any medical emergency, Southwest Airlines will allow you to cancel your flight without any trouble.
- If you have Companion Pass flights or flight tickets purchased with Gift Cards, then you can easily cancel them. However, tickets purchased with Gift Cards are non-refundable.
- This airline does not charge any cancellation fee. However, fare differences can be applied.
Southwest Airlines’ 24 Hours Cancellation Policy
Southwest Airlines has a 24-hour cancellation policy that allows you to cancel your flight within 24 hours of booking and receive the full credit back. This policy applies to all fares, including Wanna Get Away, Wanna Get Away Plus, Anytime, and Business Select.
To cancel your flight within 24 hours, you can do so online, through the Southwest app, or by calling Southwest customer service. You will have the option to receive a rebate for your original form of payment or convert the value of your ticket into Travel Funds for future travel.
Methods of Southwest Airlines Flight Cancellation Procedure
In case of any unavoidable circumstance, you are planning to cancel your flight then no worries, Southwest allows its passengers to cancel their flight without any hassle. However, before canceling your flight, you must familiarize yourself with Southwest Airlines cancel flight policy. This will help you understand your refund eligibility status and the time frame within which you must cancel to receive a full or partial rebate.
Once you are aware of this then you can proceed with your cancellation procedure by following any of the methods elaborated on below;
Method 1: Online Flight Cancellation
You can easily cancel your flight online if you follow the below-given steps carefully;
- Go to Southwest.com.
- Click on the “Manage Reservations” link in the top right corner of the page.
- Enter your confirmation number and the last name of the passenger on the reservation.
- Click on the “Cancel” button.
- Select the reason for your cancellation.
- Choose whether you want your ticket money back or flight credit.
- Click on “Cancel Reservation”.
Note: You can also cancel your flight through the Southwest app. Just open the app, tap on “My Trips”, and then tap on the “Cancel” button next to the flight you want to cancel.
Method 2: Call the Customer Care Center To Cancel Southwest Flight
In case, if you encounter any difficulty or have less time for flight boarding then you can call the Southwest customer care agents to initiate your cancellation procedure.
- Call Southwest’s customer service department at 1 800 435 9792.
- When prompted, select the option to speak to a customer service representative.
- Provide the customer service representative with your confirmation number and the last name of the passenger on the reservation.
- Tell the customer service representative that you would like to cancel your flight.
- The customer service representative will ask you for the reason of your cancellation.
- The customer service representative will then process your cancellation and provide you with a rebate or flight credit.
Cancel a Southwest Flight for Just One Member of The Group
To cancel your Southwest flight for just one member of your group, you will need to divide the reservation. This will create a separate reservation for the person you are canceling for. Once the reservation is divided, you can cancel the individual reservation.
The steps to divide the reservation are given below;
- Go to the Southwest Airlines website or app.
- Sign in to your account.
- Click on “My Trips”.
- Select the reservation you want to divide.
- Click on “Divide Reservation”.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the division.
- Once the procedure is completed, you will receive an email with a new confirmation number for the Customer(s) divided off the original reservation.
After that specific reservation gets divided from the group, you will be able to cancel the reservation by following the general flight cancellation procedures.
Note: In case you are unable to divide the reservation of that particular traveler online then you must contact the Southwest customer center at 1 800 435 9792.
What is Southwest’s policy on canceling group bookings?
Southwest Airlines has a specific policy for canceling group bookings. This policy states that you can cancel the booking but group booking deposits are not refundable as all the group booking tickets are considered non-refundable tickets. Not just that, but group tickets are not eligible for upgrades, downgrades, standby, changes, or exchanges.
Can I cancel only one segment of the Southwest Flight?
Yes, you can cancel only one segment of a Southwest flight. However, you can only do this by calling Southwest’s customer service. You cannot cancel one segment of a flight online or through the Southwest app.