No matter the situation, the airline never leaves a chance to assist its travellers. Even if you want to cancel the flight due to any unavoidable situation approaching your way for the journey, you will still find assistance from this airline. British Airways cancellation policy is a synonym for relief for the passenger who faces the last moments of surprise and then thinks about or postpones the plans. So if you are among that passenger, then continue reading.
Rules and Regulations for British Airways Cancellation Policy
Passengers opting for the cancellation process must follow certain rules and regulations to complete the process without any problems. The information can also help the passenger to save any extra cancellation charges.
- One of the most important things to remember is the risk-free period. This can be the best time to cancel a flight with the British.
- Passengers can cancel the flight up to 3 hours before departure.
- Cancellations made within 24 hours of booking are eligible for a full refund from the airline.
- The 24-hours cancellation process applies to all the fare types offered by the airline.
British Airways Flight Cancellation Policy for Different Fare
When searching for the most suitable ticket, the airline offers two types of fares with different cancellation policies:
These fares come with potential restrictions on changes and refunds. In some cases, modifications or cancellations may not be allowed. However, these fares are usually more affordable.
This fare option allows travellers to cancel or change their flights without penalty fees. It offers greater flexibility and peace of mind.
Steps to Cancel A British Airways Flight
The airline provides different channels to ensure passengers can easily cancel their flights through any medium. Passengers can access the airline’s main website smoothly and easily. Apart from this, the person can contact the customer care executive of the airline to cancel on the passenger’s behalf.
Cancel flight through the website
To proceed with British Airways cancel flight policy, passengers can follow the points mentioned below:
- Browse the main website at https://www.britishairways.com/
- Click the “Manage” option to navigate to the My Booking Page.
- Enter the booking reference and the last name of the passenger.
- Proceed to the “Find My Booking” segment.
- Access the “Trips” section.
- Select the option to cancel flights.
- Pay any applicable cancellation charges in the payment segment.
Note: It is important to note that flights originating to/from the UK can only be cancelled online through the airline’s website.
Cancel flight on a phone call
- Call the dedicated phone line for your country.
- When connected to a representative, provide your booking information.
- Ask the customer service representative about the applicable cancellation fees and refund options based on your ticket type.
- Clearly state your intention to cancel the flight and provide the necessary details
- Request the customer service representative confirm that the cancellation has been processed.
Refer to this table for the customer care department numbers of various regions
|Country||Flight Cancelation Phone Number|
|United Kingdom||0344 493 0787 option 1|
|Sweden||+46 (0)770 110 020|
24-hours cancellation policy
Passengers flying with British are entitled to a complete refund within 24 hours of making their initial booking without penalty. However, certain exceptions apply to this policy. Passengers are not eligible for British Airways cancel flight process in the following cases:
- All the Holidays Booking
- Reservations are made using miles or loyalty points.
- Group reservations consisting of 10 or more passengers.
- Bookings are made with a discount or promotional fare not available to the general public.
Holiday Cancellation Policy of the Airline
As per the British Airways cancellation policy, the conditions that apply may differ depending on the time you cancel your fare.
- The airline won’t initiate any refund if the passenger cancels the flight more than 28 days before the scheduled departure date.
- If your cancellation falls between 72 hours and 28 days before your travel date, the airline will deduct 60% of the total package from the initiated refund.
- In case of cancellation within 72 hours of the travel date, the entire booking value will be forfeited.
No-Show Cancellation Policy
- Passengers who do not inform in advance about required changes and choose not to travel on a particular flight will be considered as “no-shows.”
- When a passenger is marked as a no-show, all other unused flights in their itinerary will be invalidated and automatically cancelled.
Cancellation Fees to Cancel the Flight
- Passengers who meet the eligibility criteria may avail of free flight cancellation.
- Passengers not meeting the eligibility criteria may not be entitled to a refund.
- Non-eligible passengers may be required to pay an additional service fee.
- The specific amount of the cancellation fee can be calculated on the main website of the airline.
- Generally, the standard service fee for cancellations varies between 10 and 25 USD per passenger per flight segment.
- The cancellation and refund policies are designed for the convenience of the customers, making the process simple and easy to understand.
How long before the BA flight can you cancel the flight?
The deadline for cancelling a flight varies based on the proximity to the departure date. Within 24 hours, no cancellation or refund is possible. Over 72 hours before departure, a full refund minus a fee is given. Between 72 hours and 28 days, a 60% refund minus a fee is available.
How do I know the British will cancel my flight?
Access the main website or app to confirm your flight’s status. In case of cancellation, you’ll receive a notification there. Register for flight alerts to receive email or text updates for cancellations or delays. Reach out to the airline’s customer service department if you need further assistance
What happens if British Airways cancels my flight?
British Airways will try to rebook you on the next available flight if your original one gets cancelled. If no alternatives are available, you can request a refund. Refunds are applicable for cancellations made less than 14 days before the departure or on the day of travel due to reasons under British Airways’ control.