Traveling with your pet on long vacations has been made easy with Spirit Airlines’ pet policy. This air carrier has some outstanding schemes if you wish to go on a journey along with your furry friend. You can travel all around the US, Puerto Rico, St. Thomas, as well as the US Virgin Islands. With Spirit Airlines, 6 pet containers are permitted on each aircraft all over the US.
What Pets Are Allowed In-Cabin On Spirit Airlines?
Due to some security reasons, Spirit Airlines does not allow all kinds of pets. But do not worry as the pets that can fly easily with you on their flight are:
- Domestic Dogs
- Household Birds
- Small Rabbits
- Domestic Cats
Note: Rabbits and household birds are not allowed for flying to and from Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands.
Spirit Airlines does not allow a few pets on board its flight as mentioned below.
- Birds of Prey
- Flightless Bird
- Poultry Birds
Cargo And International Pet Travel With Spirit Airlines
You can fly with your pets only on Spirit Airlines domestic flights. Spirit Pet policy has no services for cargo pet travel. And on international flights, just service animals are allowed in the guest cabin of Spirit Airlines.
For any additional information about international travel with your pet, you can reach the Spirit guest service at 1-855-728-3555.
Pet Guidelines Of Spirit Airlines
You need to know some essential points required to be followed while journeying on Spirit Airlines with your pet.
- Your pet should be at least 8 weeks old for flying.
- You can carry two pets in a single carrier. But only one carrier is allowed per person.
- If you are traveling to the US Virgin Islands, only then do you need to have a health certificate for your pet. Otherwise, pet policy does not require any health certificate.
- You must carry a pet rabies vaccination certificate for traveling to Puerto Rico with Spirit Airlines.
- Your pet should remain inside its carrier during the full duration of your Spirit flight.
- Make sure that your pet is harmless, odorless, and inoffensive. They also should not demand any attention on the flight.
- Your furry friend should be able to sit, stand, and move comfortably in its pet carrier.
- Don’t book your seat in the first row or emergency exit rows. Because Spirit Airlines does not permit pets in these rows.
- Your pet will be removed if it’s offensive or creates disturbance before leaving the gate.
Pet Carrier Terms And Requirements
Before flying on an airplane with your pet, it is important to consider the size of your pet as well as its container. Spirit Airlines counts your pet as one-plus-one carry-on luggage. The requirements of the carrier for Airlines pets are:
- The dimensions of a pet carrier accepted by Spirit Airlines are 18 inches in length, 14 inches in width, and 9 inches in height.
- The weight of your pet and its carrier combined should not exceed 40 pounds (18.14 kg).
- The pet carrier should only be soft-sided. The soft containers in which your pet’s head remains outside are not allowed on Spirit Airlines.
- The carrier of your pet must fit properly under the seat in front of you.
Add Your Pet On Spirit Airlines Flight
Spirit Airlines does not show any option of adding your pet on its official website. So, while making your reservation with Spirit Airlines, connect with Spirits’ customer service. You can tell them that you want to carry your pet with you on the flight.
This process can be done by calling, texting, or chatting via Whatsapp with Spirit Airlines. The contact number of Spirit for the same is (855) 728-3555. The texts can be sent at 48763 to Spirit Airlines.
But be aware to do it immediately as only a limited number of pet carriers are allowed under pet policy. If there is a pet space available on the date of your flight with Spirit Airlines. Then, you can also add your pet at the airport.
You need to do the check-in at the ticket counter while traveling with your pet. Spirit Airlines does not allow self-service or curbside check-in in this case. So, you should arrive at the airport a bit earlier than usual. You can get your pet’s approval to board from the Spirit Airlines staff and also give them all the required pet documents hassle-free.
Service Animals On An Airplane Of Spirit Airlines
Spirit Airlines permits service animals to fly on domestic as well as international flights. But Spirit only allows dogs as service animals on its aircraft. You can fly maximally with two service animals. This air carrier also does not include emotional support or therapy animals in this category.
Firstly, your service dog should be licensed. And you need to fill out the US Department of Transportation’s Service Animal Air Transportation Form. You can get and submit this form on Spirits’ official website at the online service animal request form. Make sure to submit it at least 48 hours before your departure.
Once you get the approval for traveling with your service animal, board your flight easily. Your dog can sit in your lap or within your personal foot space.
Destinations outside the US might have different pet travel requirements. For this, you can contact Spirit Guest Service. One of their representatives will happily check destination regulations for you.
Fees For Pet Travel With Spirit Airlines
For a one-way flight, you need to pay an extra $125 in Spirit Airlines pet fees. This amount is applicable only for a single container. You can carry four pets in two containers if there is one other person traveling with you. The pet fees will then increase accordingly.